Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Rain Barrels

Rain barrels are a simple and effective way to use rain runoff from your roof to irrigate your gardens and flower beds. The advantages are three-fold. You lessen the amount of runoff which decreases pollution and erosion, you conserve water by decreasing your water usage for outdoor purposes, and you reuse the barrel thereby negating it being disposed of or going through the recycling process. There are many styles of rain barrels available, but the concept is the same, divert the water running down your gutter downspout into a barrel for later use. Your rain barrel should have an overflow pipe which can be directed to where the downspout previously drained, or into another rain barrel. Some rain barrels have an old-fashioned pitcher pump mounted to the top to draw off water while others simply have a hose bib attached to the bottom of the barrel to draw off water. If using the type with the hose bib, I recommend setting the rain barrel op on concrete blocks. This will make it easier to get to the hose bib and also provide a little elevation for pressure if running a hose directly from the barrel to your garden. You can buy 55 gallon plastic barrels from a food service vendor for $5-$10, or you can order an oak barrel with an iron base for $275 online. The food service barrels are usually bright blue, but can be painted to match your house. I installed a rain barrel on my house recently and it took less than 15 minutes. It quickly filled during the following rain storm, so I need to get a few more. Surely, it is time to "roll out the barrel." It is, and don't call me Shirley.

2 comments:

Elise said...

Hi Bill, thanks for coming out last week (Wingerton Rd in Waynesboro) to assess our readiness for a solar water heater. I'm looking forward to your written estimate.

Just read your article on rain barrels and thought I'd share my own experience with constructing them. Here's a link to a web page I share with Joann Woy.I need to do some editing to it, since I've actually learned a lot since I wrote the pieces, but I think it might help first-timers.

I'll be bringing Joann with me to the meeting next week. She's interested in learning more too.

Elise said...

Oops, forgot to include the link: http://thevariegatedgardener.com/?s=barrel&search=